Thursday, April 10, 2008

I am A Zoo Vet Now!!


Hi There!!!

It been 7 month since I had worked in the zoo. And I just got the confirmation letter!! Yeah! Yeah! I am a zoo vet now!

It had been both a fun and meaning full journey for me. I not only gain new knowledge and experience but also friends!

My Best Friend and Bro at the Hospital


I felt myself very lucky to have such experience early in my life. It really a privelege for me to start it here in Singapore Zoological Gardens! They have all the facilities for us to help with the diagnosis of the cases and also the sifu (my seniors) to guide me!!
Vasectomy on a wild caught long tail macaque in the careful guidance of Serena


I am so fortunate to have the privelege to learn to attend cases, blow and gun darting, field diagnosis, lab diagnosis and of of course field X-ray.
Taking X-ray on a Lioness with Sonja



I think the most important thing in life is not about learning or making the most of your job. But I think is making friends as you work!

Spending quality time with colleagues
Apart form just learning veterinary stuff and making friends. I learn also do some night life! Recently met a volunteer from Germany who taught me about Salsa and go clubbing! I hope my GF wont kill me on this occasion!!
Me with Carol after salsa dancing!
Well, the first few months been the most difficult for me. As I have to adjust myself to working life, my job and also my separation from my GF. But now, as things had settled down now, I think life over here is not too bad.
I guess in life, we need to be patient and resillient over different situation. And take every challenge and situation as an opportunity to gain knowlege, experience and new friends!!!



5 comments:

pei shan said...

Hi!
I'm a JC2 student in Singapore and becoming a wildlife vet is one of my career choices.

May i know more about the path you took to become a vet at the zoo?
For example, which university you went to, which course you took, etc etc.

Thank you very much!

anwar said...

Hi Pei Shan,

Well, my path to the zoo wasnt choreographed as I plan. But I sure will tell how I become a vet in the zoo.

Well, I took my veterinary degree in Universiti Putra Malaysa. And I got the job 2 months after I completed my studies. So I dont have much working experience in the zoo when I first arrive. I still needed to be guided in many aspect because the zoo have some of the world most dangerous animal. So you need to be extra careful when dealing with them.

My advise is that you could get into any vet colleges (preferably in college recognized by AVA)and work in Small Animal Practice for next few years to gain some experience before coming here. And also when you are student, try to do alot of off campus volunteer in wildlife centre or zoo to gain extra knowledge regarding wildlife veterinary medicine! Singapore Zoo is one of them!

Ok I wish you all the best with your study and I will looking forward to have a new buddy in wildlife vet in 7 years time!

suyoung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suyoung said...

Hi!

I'm a senior veterinary student in Korea! I'm interested in the field of conservation and zoological medicine. During last winter vacation, I travelled around Sava and Sarawak with my friends. It was fantastic and I became to know how important to conservate such an environment for mankind. That's why I'm considering to get a job in Singapore or Malaysia to have the chance to study about wild life in Borneo and Malay peninsula. If you're OK, I want to ask somthing via your e-mail. Can I get your e-mail address?

Thank you!

Lett said...

Hi,

Do you know any person to contact regarding becoming a Zoo Vet in Singapore? If you do, kindly email me at raynerlett@gmail.com.

Thank you very much! :)